The San Francisco Garden Club, a non-profit organization, was founded in 1926. Eleven members were elected to office at the first meeting, including John McLaren, the "father of Golden Gate Park," Herbert Fleischhacker, and William H. Crocker. The club's purpose was established: to beautify the City of San Francisco; to preserve scenic and historic points of interest; to aid and benefit horticultural activities.
THE CONSERVATORY OF FLOWERS
The club has supported the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers for many years, underwriting the ponds, plant collections, and spearheading the construction of the temporary greenhouse constructed in 2000 to house the plant collections during the major reconstruction following the severe winter storms of 1995-96. Since 1997, the club has donated nearly $500,000.00 toward the Conservatory of Flowers' restoration and reconstruction.
GARDENS OF ALCATRAZ
In 2005, the SF Garden Club contributed $10,000 to restore and plant the 220-foot Trough Planter at the Gardens of Alcatraz, a National Historic Landmark. The Trough runs the length of the main entry walkway and is visible from space.
In 1939 architect Arthur Brown, JR who built the Opera House and Coit Tower was persuaded by Club members to plant yew trees in "No Man's Land" between the Opera House and the Veteran's building. He was impressed with their knowledge and their ability to raise funds to purchase the trees. The society pages reported "Mr. Brown at once capitulated to their charm, then yielded to the cogency of their argument and finally gave his blessings to their plan."
The Club provided "bedside gardens" to bedridden GIs at Letterman Hospital to give encouragement with something living nearby. Also, the Club organized "seeds overseas" sending seeds to GIs. One group responded "....we were able to grow corn and feed corn on cob to our camp."